Medical Student Portal
The Zone is the information portal for undergraduate medical students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Much of the information below can be accessed by navigating through the Zone; however, we thought it might be helpful to highlight some of the more popular topics.
Some of the pages are password protected, so if you are not yet enrolled in the School of Medicine, you will not be able to view the information.
Medical Student Handbook
The Office of Student Affairs disseminates information regarding academic policies and procedures, student services, student wellness, and much more through the Student Handbook.
Career and Residency Advising
One of the most important missions at our medical school is to provide an advisory system which is comprehensive, flexible, individualized and focused on student success. The Advisory Dean Program and the first year FAST System are run through the Office of Student Affairs.
Upon entering medical school, each PITT medical student is assigned an Advisory Dean, who will provide individual mentorship through all four years in the areas of:
- Strategies for Success
- Enrichment Opportunities
- Career and Residency Choices
- Professional Development
Faculty and Students Together ( FAST ) Groups
The FAST groups provide additional support during freshman year, consisting of five first year students, two second year students ( "big sibs" ) and clinical faculty member. The network specifically addresses the many transitional issues which student encounter upon entering medical school.
- The Academics page is a portal page providing links to a variety of topics—or get to them directly using the links below.
- Course Catalog
- Academic Development provides support in meeting the academic rigor required by medical school. The University of Pittsburgh offers programs through the University of Pittsburgh Academic Support Center to help students develop the skills, strategies, and behaviors of confident, independent, and active learners.
- MS1 and MS2 Exam Results (password protected)
- Promotion Guidelines (PDF)
Research and Enrichment Opportunities
Student services are listed in the Student Handbook and include Student Health and Wellness, Financial Aid, Disability, and Counseling Services, among others.
Student Governance and Student Activities
Policies and Procedures
This page provides academic calendars for all medical students.